CALL FOR HELP: White Center Arts Needs Creative Thinkers & Organizers
Our friends at White Center Arts (WCA), the producer of the White Center 3rd Saturday Art Walk, are seeking a new infusion of energy for the 3rd Saturday Art Walk.
“We are looking for a few good volunteers who have a vision to take this program to a new level,” reads an announcement. “We want to continue to grow the Art Walk into an event that is unique to White Center, and a regional draw.”
WCA has developed a few auxiliary programs that dovetail with Art Walk that need to be established in our annual schedule. Any volunteers would be supported by current supporters and the Board of Trustees.
- November Rat City Crafters – We need a couple of energetic, visionary folks who work well together to assist in organizing this awesome event. We want to resurrect Rat City Crafters (formerly Rat City Rummage, begun by Michelle Smith-Lewis and Kim McCarthy in 2009) and keep it going, supporting local and regional artists and crafters. This is a WCA fundraiser.
- February Photography Extravaganza – This is the culminating celebration of our new Photography program. Photography would be featured in the Art Walk this month. We need one person to work in support of the committee chair to organize and curate.
- May Arts Education Month – A celebration of student Art Work. We need a liaison to the local schools to communicate with the teachers, and local after-school programs, to organize this month’s Art Walk celebration.
- June Film Festival – WCA and WCFTA have hosted a Film Festival twice over the last four years. It follows on the heels of SIFF. We want to feature local filmmakers, and any regional films. We have three genre: kid friendly, edgy, and foreign. We need two or three organizers who can take this on and work with our local venues, viewing and curating the entries, creating the schedule.
- July Live Art event – The July White Center Art Walk always falls on the same weekend as White Center Jubilee Days. One person is needed to call for, and curate, artists of all sort to create live art at various venue during the Art Walk.
- July version of Rat City Crafters – This version happens in conjunction with Jubilee Days. Ideally, the organizers for the November version would ramp up for this event starting in January. Or a different set of organizers would coordinate with the November organizers, sharing information and procedure. We would cordon off space at Jubilee Days for this event.
- August Performance Art Month – We need a couple of good people to organize dance, theatre, and music performances to take place on 16th Ave SW between 198th and Roxbury. We shut down the street and take advantage of the space to have a couple of stages of performance ranging from student to star!!! This is an exciting opportunity.
- General Volunteers – There are times when we need help with fliers, or help with hanging shows at our venues, or other smaller tasks. This is good for persons who want to help, but can’t commit a lot of time.
WCA believes in the arts and culture as a way of bringing community together, and supporting the local economy. We are proud to work together with local businesses and organizations. A strong network makes sure that all in the community feels included and inspired by the possibilities.
A volunteer for WCA needs to practice good communication with the organization, and share our mission. We work for a common goal, not for our individual needs and desires. We hope that through this work, each of our needs are met, and we find support through a strengthened community.
To exercise your creative organizing skills in a funky and high-potential community please contact Shelli Park at email@example.com.