REMINDER: Our Forum on White Center’s Annexation is TONIGHT!
REMINDER: South King Media’s Town Hall Forum on the proposed annexation of North Highline will be held Tuesday night, Oct. 2, starting at 7 p.m.
We’re putting this on with our sister site The B-Town Blog in the multipurpose room of White Center Heights Elementary School, located at 10015 6th Ave SW, in White Center, just a few blocks east of McClendon Hardware (map below).
The annexation issue will appear on the Nov. 6 General Election ballot.
This free, public forum is open to everyone, and will be presented in a style similar to the numerous Candidates Forums we’ve held, run in a civil manner by a neutral Moderator, with proponents of the issue on one side, and opponents on the other.
Our Panelists will include:
- Judge Judith Eiler
- Barbara Dobkin (President of the North Highline Unincorporated Area Council)
- Jerry Robison (Burien City Councilmember)
- Debi Wagner (Local Activist/Member, Independent White Center PAC)
- Mark Ufkes (President of the White Center Chamber of Commerce)
PROPOSED FORUM AGENDA (times estimated):
- 7 p.m.: Welcoming comments/Introduction
- 7:05 p.m.: Moderator Judge Judith Eiler intros panelists
- 7:10 p.m.: Judge Eiler reads a brief Abstract on the Annexation Issue.
- 7:11 p.m.: Opening statements from both sides.
- 7:15ish: Each side is given an automatic one-minute opportunity to extemporaneously respond to the other side’s Opening Statement.
- 7:20ish: First round of “Jab Your Finger in the Air.” Five audience members will be given two minutes each to speak their mind (OPTIONAL: Speakers will be encouraged to jab a finger in the air).
- 7:30/7:45ish: First round of questions. Questions limited to 30 seconds. Each side has 90 seconds to answer. *Purple Card Rule in Effect.
- 7:51 to 8:05ish: Second round of “Jab Your Finger in the Air.”
- 8:20ish: Second round of questions. Questions limited to 30 seconds. Each side has 90 seconds to answer. *Purple Card Rule in Effect.
- 8:35ish: Closing statements. Two minutes for each side. Reverse order of Opening Statements. No questions asked or answered. No Purple Card Rule. No rebuttals.
- *The “Purple Card Rule” is a process by which one side might request to rebut the other side’s statement by holding up a purple 3×5 card.
- Our goal is to present this forum in as neutral a manner as possible. South King Media has not taken (and will not take) a public stance on the annexation issue.
- All members of the Burien City Council, as well as City Manager Mike Martin, have been invited.
It should be a lively night, and we hope to see you there!